Dimensions Part 4

Tosin stared at Amarachi. He had absolutely no words for her. Somehow, he felt guilty because of his heavy involvement with Jumoke. He was still officially dating Amarachi and he had spent the better part of the past year chasing another girl. He was contemplating telling her everything but he was not sure how she would take it. He tried to build a defence instinctively somewhere in his mind. She left me without saying a word. She did not call me for a year. I was lonely. It really was not my fault. Any guy would have done the same thing I did. Blah. Blah. Blah. He was not even making sense to himself.
“Tosin baby, hi. I missed you terribly.” She said flatly.
“Amy, what am I supposed to say or do right now? Three hundred and seventeen days since I last saw or heard from you. Oh! I should open my arms and yell out that I love you? Because I actually do and that’s what makes it all the more painful! Did I mean so little to you?” Tosin retorted somewhat angrily.
“Calm down Tosin. It was a very complicated situation. I could not have told anyone at the time, not even you. I need you to be patient and trust me. Allow me to explain.”
“What is there to explain really? What acceptable explanation could there possibly be for such an action? You deferred your admission and did not tell your boyfriend who you claim to love for crying out loud! What kind of explanation can you give that would effectively explain that? What?”
As Amarachi was about to speak, she spotted Chuka a short distance away approaching and she beamed.
“Hey Chuka!” she yelled out, “oh how I have missed you darling! I know you must be angry as well. I am so sorry. I will explain everything now. Please help me out in speaking with Tosin to calm down and just hear me out.”
Chuka looked shell shocked. Amarachi was back? Big trouble.
Tosin and Chuka exchanged fierce looks. It was immediately apparent  to Amarachi that something was wrong.
“Hey guys! What is going on? What is wrong?” she looked at both of them suspiciously. She sensed that something was amiss.
“I bet you, you don’t want to know.”  Chuka replied.
“Hmmm…something tells me that it is somehow connected to me. Okay boys, spill!”
“Er..Amarachi, relax a bit. Tell us your own story first. “ Tosin had stepped in to try to divert the attention away from him and Chuka.
“okay. If you say so.” Amarachi said. “so last year I…” she trailed off as she spotted Jumoke approaching.
“Oh my God! Jumoke my baby!” she ran off to give Jumoke a warm hug.
Chuka and Tosin looked at each other. Chuka whispered to Tosin “what! They know each other. You are in deep shit bro. I’m gonna bolt pretty soon.”
Tosin whispered back, “I did not know. Oh my! This gets more complicated. What am I gonna do?”
“I don’t know. I warned you about Amarachi coming back but you wouldn’t listen. Can you now see the consequences? All you ever thought about was tryna prove that I betrayed you with Jumoke and all that rubbish. I hope you are satisfied.”
“Shut up Chuka. Stop the blaming and let us think up a solution.”
Jumoke and Amarachi were walking back towards them smiling from ear to ear. Chuka whispered quickly to Tosin.
“Look at that smile on Amy’s face, it’s gonna disappear as soon as she finds out the truth. Even Jumoke will become an enemy. I don’t want her to witchhunt me man. I’m not gonna be a party to any cover up and I won’t take the fall for you. Amy is damn too dangerous.” As he rushed to complete his words, Amy got to them with Jumoke.
“Hey guys! Meet my cousin Jumoke.” She turned to Jumoke, “Jumoke, this is Chuka and this is Tosin, my boyfriend that I told you about.”
Jumoke immediately burst out laughing.
Tosin seemed shell-shocked as he spoke.
“What?! Your cousin?!”
“Wait, what am I missing here? What is going on and Jumoke what is so funny?”
“Amy, I know them already. Tosin was my best friend but then he screwed up recently. Chuka is like my ‘Romeo’ but he screwed up as well. It’s a long and complicated story. But first tell me, for how long have you been dating Tosin?”
Tosin quickly spoke to stop Amarachi from answering that question.
“Er…Jummy, how is that even relevant right now? We were speaking of something else before you arrived so I think we should just continue. Don’t you think so Chuka?”
He turned to look at Chuka and gestured to him with his eyes by widening his eyeballs expecting Chuka to take the cue and back him. Amarachi interrupted him.
“Tosin, you are sounding really weird right now. Since when did it become irrelevant to mention how long we have been dating?” turning to Jumoke she said “We have been dating for about a year and half.”
“What!” Jumoke was about to get really pissed. “Dear Lord! Tosin, please explain before I get really mad.”
Amarachi sensing what was going on spoke.
“Okay wait, what happened between you two. Somebody better start talking.”
Jumoke spoke up as Tosin looked at the ground as if he was waiting for it to swallow him up.
“Amy, Tosin was my best friend. He introduced me to Chuka. I liked Chuka. He was against that because he had his own agenda which was that he wanted me to be his girlfriend. I acted like I did not know so as not to complicate things. However, Tosin virtually turned Chuka into an enemy of some sort and put him  through a lot just because of me. I am sure you must have noticed some kind of friction between them. It is as a result of Tosin’s actions. The last straw was when Chuka found out that Tosin had put him under surveillance. It’s all crazy stuff.”
“Okay wait, let me get this straight, Chuka, you were a part of this too?”
Chuka retorted.
“Apparently I was not a part of it or I would not currently be seen as the enemy by Tosin.”
“Jumoke, how could you not have known that this was the Tosin I told you about? I described him for you, I told you his friggin’ name!”
“Well Amy, I did not exactly pick the surname when you told me. All I remembered was that his name was Tosin. There are many Tosins around here. And he didn’t even tell me anything. I’m so sorry but I really didn’t do anything wrong. I even stopped speaking with him two weeks ago.”
“I really don’t care about that info. You know what, I’ll get back to you later. As for you Tosin, why? That’s all I wanna ask right now. Couldn’t you just wait for me?”
Tosin finally spoke and he sounded angry.
“Amy, my girlfriend disappears without a word for almost a year, no calls, nothing. I do everything to find her but all to no avail. What was I supposed to do? I was lonely, hurt, confused, angry. Jummy came around and I fell for her. That is not a crime okay! Where the hell did you go that you could not tell me huh? Where?”
Jumoke stepped in.
“She was kidnapped, raped, impregnated and she had to be away in order to give birth to that baby. You bastard! Would you have stayed if she had told you that? Would you?”
Chuka and Tosin looked at each other once again more shocked than before. At the same time they exclaimed,
“WHAT!”
“So Chuka you also knew about Amarachi and you did not think you should tell me. You are such an ass!”
“Oh come on Jummy, it wasn’t my secret to tell. If Tosin did not tell you, how could I?”
“oh please spare me!” she turned to Amarachi and said “Amy, let’s get out of here. These guys are a disappointment!”
Amarachi had been deep in thought for a while. It finally hit her.
“Some fishy business is going on here. How did all four of us manage to be here at the same time? I got a call from an anonymous guy about coming around here and discovering something peculiar and here it is. Hmmm. It doesn’t sound right.”
The others looked straight at her and said almost simultaneously,
“I GOT A CALL TOO!”
From where he was watching, ‘Bearer of bad news’ stepped out and yelled CUT!
He approached them clapping.
“Bravo! Bravo! Bravo! Amarachi finally proved to be the smartest. Thought you all won’t figure it out. Have a seat everyone. My name is Antonio Nkana Banega, Argentine naturalized Nigerian. I have a story to tell. Relax.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dimensions Part 3

The Shot Of Irony