Dimensions Part 1

                        
CHUKA
   I am twenty-two years old and I have a complicated problem. Tosin, my best friend probably hates me now and I sense a certain unspoken tension in the air when we speak. All our laughs and jokes and gist and chants together are all a charade. We are at war with each other; a cold war. I did nothing wrong and perhaps he knows but yet, he has every right to despise me. He loves her, she loves me. I knew from the first day he introduced her to me that things would not be the same again. I did not have the slightest inkling how but I just knew somewhere in my subconscious that things were about to change. Granted, he told me she was the girl that had stolen his heart and he was doing all he could to get her. He stated clearly that she might or might not have known about his love for her or how much it drove him to do things. However, as at the day he introduced us, she seemed to have absolutely no idea how much he was into her. No matter what he did, she appeared not to notice. They call themselves second degree best friends but she has never let it get past that. I stepped onto the scene a bad boy who had done every bad act in the book of love. I immediately noticed her eyes as we shook hands. I did not think too much of it then, though, for it was normal to get looks like that all the time for me. Two days later, she was in my class for the flimsiest of reasons and she left happily armed with my mobile phone number. Endless calls day and night and within two weeks, I got the message. The girl was head over heels in love with me but she was not even my type. I did not want her and I felt bad for Tosin. I could definitely not break such absurd news to him about a girl he still dreamt about daily...It has dragged on for two months now although she has withdrawn a bit recently which beats me as unusual. Exams are over now and today is the day I tell him all that has been going on behind his back. I just hope he realises how sincere I am and sees the facts clearly without the obstruction of his feeling betrayed. I did not betray him, I never will. He is my best friend. It is time now and I’m going to meet him. This is it...

                                                                                                                                           TOSIN
                   They think I do not notice their little love game. How on Earth wouldn’t I notice something so obvious? That first day I could have sworn I noticed some awkward moment pass between them. I brushed it off as a figment of my imagination but how wrong I was! I see her daily making passes at him and I have my sources who tell me all about their movements. He does not seem to be into her much and it appears that he’s doing everything possible to absorb himself of any wrong doing in the end. But who knows? Perhaps he knows that I’m keenly watching and is putting on a show. Sorry Chuka, you are a terrible actor! I can read into your games! Who knows what they do in secret? Did I do wrong by introducing my two favourite people to each other? He can get any girl in the world if he wants to. I bet he’s the ‘baddest’ player that this world has ever seen. Yet, with all the beautiful girls all around, why can’t he just take his wicked eyes off the girl I want; my own second degree best friend, Jumoke? Yes, there’s Amarachi somewhere in Lagos refusing to call me for no apparent reason. She did not even tell me she was deferring her admission indefinitely. I guess that’s what I mean to her; terrible girl! But Jumoke and Chuka are not right for each other. Now he says he has something important to tell me. Hmmm, he probably wants to confess because he realises the game is up. I bet he’ll heap all the blame on ‘Jummy’ for pushing him or being overzealous. So much for best friends forever! He doesn’t realise that all this is like a chess game. He made his move and I made mine. The thing is that I know every move he’s made but he doesn’t even know that I have played too not to talk of making a wicked move. I guess he’s not as smart as he says he is. I’ll show him who the master of the game is. Now I’m going to meet him. Let’s see what happens...     

WORDS AND WITS
“Dude, what’s good? Are you done with the M.I CD I gave you?”
“Yes o! That album is so good. Seriously, the Federal Government should declare a National holiday to celebrate that album. Jeez!”
“I concur...er but first, give me my CD because I know you are planning to colonise it.”
“What is wrong with you, young man? When did I become a colonial master?”
“Definitely not today. ‘Chief’ Tosin, have you forgotten so soon? I can count at least fourteen of my CDs that are in your custody. Should I start?”
“Ah! You’ve come with your lies again! Fourteen! Well, I don’t have time for such useless calculations, Chuka. You said you have something important to discuss. I hope it is a good business deal you have this time because I need to start making money.”
“You like money too much! It isn’t about money. It is about Jummy.”
“What is it? Don’t tell me she told you I committed a crime.’’
“No, get serious Mr Man! I really don’t know how to tell you this without you taking it the wrong way.”
 “Okay, I’ll try my best to be objective and not judgemental. So, spill.”
“I strongly suspect that Jummy has feelings for me.”
“Strongly suspect?”
“Dude, honestly I’ve tried everything possible to dissuade her from such infatuation but nothing seems to be working.”
Tosin looks at him quizzically, and then, smiles with sarcasm in his eyes.
“My sources tell me you are not trying enough. If their words are anything to go by, you are not even doing anything to dissuade her.”
Chuka looks surprised.
“What do you mean by your sources? Are you talking surveillance?”
“What does it sound like? Chuka, even a blind man would know what has been going on. I’m not stupid.”
Chuka gives Tosin a very hard look.
“You haven’t answered my question. Surveillance?”
“Obviously! And what were you expecting me to do? I waited for three months to get a hug from Jummy and you got a hug on the second day! Anytime she’s with me, you are all she talks about! Your number is stored on her phone as ‘sweetie’. As for you, you hardly ever talk about her where I am and when you think I’m out of sight, you’re all over her. Cut the crap and don’t put the blame on her!”
Chuka looks shocked.
“Your sources are blind and so are you. No girl in the world could make me betray my best friend. I had no idea you did not trust me and it actually hurts. You know me so well. Jummy is not the kind of girl I could date and you know that all too well. She’s not my type! Why not be a man and tell the girl how you feel about her rather than just dying in silence and blaming me for your misfortune?!”
It is Tosin’s turn to look shocked.
“Then why didn’t you tell me this ever since if you had nothing to hide?”
“Ask yourself what you would have done if you were in my shoes. Do you think it is easy to tell your best friend that the girl he has been dying to tell of his feelings appears to want you instead? And here I am telling you and you don’t even appreciate that. It’s a pity!”
Tosin is quiet for a few minutes apparently realising how right Chuka is. After about three minutes, he speaks.
“I have my own confession.”
Chuka remains quiet.
“I told Jummy stuff about you which are actually true.”
“What?!”
“I told her how much she isn’t your type and I told her some of your past escapades to try to dissuade her. I’m sorry man but I guess it doesn’t matter after all.”
Tosin tries to smile but Chuka is not amused.
“You guess it doesn’t matter? How cruel could you possibly be? I thought I could trust you, Tosin. Would it have been difficult for me to tell her about Amarachi? Answer me man! We both know that if she shows up tomorrow you’ll be back under her spell. But did I do that to you? No. Absolutely not. Look at you, going behind my back to say things about me to a girl you think I’m interested in just so she’ll give you more attention. Little wonder she’s avoided me like a plague for the past two weeks. It was you, wasn’t it?”
“I said I am sorry. It just happened okay. I was angry and I felt I had to do something!”
“So much for friendship, Tosin. You don’t deserve to be called my best friend. What is friendship when I can’t trust you and you don’t trust me? I’ll leave you and your ‘Spanish princess’ alone. You can have yourselves. As for me, I want to be left alone. I need time to think and get over your betrayal. And there you were, castigating me and telling me about your ‘sources’. Don Tosin, right? You probably see this as yet another chess game which you will ultimately win. But, I’m not playing this silly game with you. Go on. Remember one thing though, you messed up and life is in circles. What goes around, goes around and then comes around.”
“This isn’t a big deal, Chuka. You don’t have to take it personal. It is not as bad as you are making it out to be. Besides, I said I am sorry.”
Chuka walks away without responding. He does not look back. Evidently, he’s angry but revenge is not even on his agenda. All he wants is to get away and stay away from Tosin and Jummy.
Tosin feels bad but...
A phone rings and a deep voice answers the phone.
“Boss?”
“Nosa?”
“Yes boss?”
“Tell Ibrahim and the boys that the game is not over. Continue surveillance. Something big is about to happen.”
“Done.”
“Good. Always update me.”

...to be continued...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dimensions Part 4

Dimensions Part 2

Dimensions Part 3